Since August 1995 Namibians have been helped on their path to health and wellness by Virgin Active with the opening of the first health club in Windhoek. Now, 10 years later, more locals will be able to enjoy a combination of fun, interactive exercise solutions at Virgin Active Kleine Kuppe which opens on September 26.
The new, double storey 3541m2 lifestyle health club, located opposite ‘The Grove’, offers a wide range of activities … all under one roof. So, whether you enjoy running on a treadmill or around a squash court, cycling, swimming or the more gentle style of exercise, such as yoga and pilates, there are plenty of options to choose from at the new health club.
One of the latest exercise programmes – exclusive to Virgin Active – that will be the ‘energy centre’ of the club is ‘The Grid’. It is all about going back to basics but in a whole new way, while burning up to 500 calories in half an hour! Through simple, stimulating individual programmes or group classes you learn to get fit and move better through the six basic movements we use every day: push, pull, squat, bend, twist and lunge. It is suitable for everyone no matter what your fitness level.
Apart from The Grid, Kleine Kuppe packs a substantial punch in other areas of fitness and lifestyle offerings
– Cycling torches calories and tones you all over, so go pedalling in the Ride studio where you can feel the burn without taking to the roads. Alternatively you can measure your power output accurately, pedalling technique and heart rate by training on the smart Wattbike, which allows you to track your progress. If you’d prefer an all over body workout, then functional training would probably be your choice – here you can use kettlebells, ViPR, Kinesis and a bunch of other equipment to work out at your own pace
– If you want to ‘mix it up’, the heated 25m2 pool is perfect for laps and a low impact cardio workout or try taking a Splash (water aerobics) class
– The studio is where you’ll find group exercise classes ranging from Kick and Shape to Step, TwentyFour and Zumba
– For something gentler there’s a mind and body studio – a private space where you can stretch, strengthen and chill out with yoga, pilates and Nova
– The modern Technogym equipment includes powerplates – it won’t ’shake the fat away’ but it will challenge you because it’s an unstable surface
– Enjoy a fast-paced game of squash on one of the two squash courts
– Feeling like tapping into your inner child? Then do a workout on the Queenax machine, dubbed the adult ‘jungle gym.’ It is multifunctional machine with stations that include boxing, TRX (in suspension), pull-ups and battle ropes
– Freshen up after a workout in the modern, clean change rooms and sensation showers. Disabled and family change rooms are available plus a steam room and sauna
– The poolside Kauai café, with free 100mb daily free wi-fi and internet stations, is a relaxing space to enjoy a smoothie, surf the web or watch some telly.
Let’s not forget the kids
Club V-Max is a fabulous, fun, fitness space for junior members (aged 3 to 13) where they are kept active and busy while you try out the group classes or train as you see fit. Our Active Play programme teaches them to run, throw, play, catch and have a huge amount of fun at the same time. It’s like an ‘exercise guardian’ to ensure your kids get moving and active – to stay healthy and happy.
Virgin Active Kleine Kuppe welcomes everyone. Young, old, fit and unfit are encouraged to get active at this brand new club where enthusiastic, well trained staff will ensure each workout is memorable.
The health club is situated in Hilltop Estate, cnr Chasie and Frankie Fredericks Street, Kleine Kuppe, Windhoek. Opening times: Monday to Thursday, 5am to 9pm, Friday: 5am to 8pm, Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday: 6am to 7pm.