Yes. Free weights are more functional. And functional fitness can help condition your body to move more efficiently through your real-life activities. But no matter what your goals are, or where you’re at in achieving them, there are benefits to using fixed equipment at the club. Check it out.
Benefits of using fixed equipment
– Fixed strength equipment focuses on specific muscle groups and provides an easy initiation into strength training.
– Helps to build isolated muscle strength or size in a safe way (the machine guides your movement).
– Helps with weight loss goals. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn.
Top 5 machine moves for men
myvirginactive has videos to show you exactly how to do these moves. So don’t stress if you’re not sure.
1. Machine arm curl
– Sit in the arm curl machine, placing your upper arms on the pad so that your elbow joints are aligned with the lever fulcrum.
– Grasp the handles with an underhand grip and pull the levers by bending your arms, then return to the starting position.
2. Machine-seated lat pulldown
– Sit on a bench with your knees supported. Take hold of the bar with a wide, overhand grip (fingers curling around the bar away from you).
– Lower the bar to your chin level and return slowly to the starting position. Repeat.
3. Machine seated chest press
– Sit on the chest press machine. Adjust the seat to position the middle of your chest at the height of the handles. Grasp the handles with an overhand grip, keeping your elbows aligned between your wrists and shoulders. Use the optional foot lever to release the weights.
– Press the lever until your arms are almost extended. Return to the starting position. Repeat.
4. Machine low row
– Sit slightly forwards on the seat and grasp the cable attachment. Place your feet on the vertical platform and slide your hips back, positioning your knees with a slight bend.
– Pull the cable attachment to your waist while straightening your lower back. Pull your shoulders back and push your chest forwards while arching your back. Return until your arms are extended, your shoulders are stretched forwards, and your lower back is flexed forwards.
5. Machine abdominal crunches
– Adjust your seat height so that the centre of your hip joint is directly in line with the centre of rotation of the lever. Begin in a seated position with your knees and hips flexed at 90 degrees.
– Push forwards with your chest against the padded bar, as if curling your shoulders and upper back so that your chin moves towards your chest as your upper body is curling towards your thighs. Slowly control the weight as it returns to the starting position. Stop just short of the starting position, then repeat the movement as you exhale and crunch forwards.
Try the Super Circuit
You can up your fitness and burn calories in 30 minutes or less by trying out some of the different pieces of equipment in the Super Circuit. Check your club’s timetable and see if you can make a class.